Women who do the following have better rates of fertility
- Eating more beans, nuts and other fertility-boosting plant protein
- Eating more whole grains
- Having a glass of whole milk and other full-fat dairy food every day (even including an occasional small bowl of ice cream)
- Avoiding alcohol, smoking and drugs.
- Avoiding trans fats (check the Nutrition Facts labels on foods)
- Avoiding sugary sodas
- Avoiding too much caffeine. Do not drink more than one cup of coffee per day.
Risk factors affecting fertility in both men and women
- Overweight or severely underweight
- Stress may affect fertility or sperm count
- Sexually transmitted diseases, such as chlamydia
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Exposure to toxins, such as lead or certain pesticides
- Certain medical conditions, such as endometriosis